Tuesday, February 10, 2015

How to get started in 3D modeling

I'm happy to announce what I've been working on the past few months... Shapeways reached out to me after noticing a passionate group of miniature fans discovering Shapeways through my blog. They were interested in a community initiative to encourage people to engage further with 3D printing miniatures. We came up with a contest that will be announced soon, but to kick things off, I created a tutorial for absolute beginners to get started 3D modeling with free design software. I walk you step by step through creating this pendant light and share lots of tips and tricks for how I make my miniatures.

Check out my SketchUp tutorial on the Shapeways blog here: www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/19847-how-i-made-a-mini-112-scale-pendant-light-for-my-dollhouse-in-sketchup.html

Shapeways is also running a promotion; if you order your first design by Feb. 13 you'll get a secret code for $20 off your next one. For more details visit www.shapeways.com.

10 comments:

  1. Fantastic tutorial, you're an absolute star for doing this. I hope peeps will feel inspired to try it out. I might just give it a go myself =0D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pepper! The more you play with it the easier it gets. :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm...perhaps those minis I wish existed need to be reviewed again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool. The funny thing is I was just showing my daughter real lights like those for her dining room because they are so in fashion! Skip pinterest. Go right to Mini Modern Houses for ideas. CM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I love it. I hope you and your family are well Carol!

      Delete
  4. This is awesome! Thank you for doing and sharing the tutorial. I've been afraid to try this, but maybe I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was intimidating at first, but I just kept trying video tutorials to help until I figured out what I needed. :D

      Delete
  5. Wonderful tutorial and beautiful light! I have those little earrings, how did you get them to stop flashing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neen, the lights I found don't flash. They just screw on to connect the battery. I did buy them about 5 years ago and half of the batteries are dead and need to be replaced. Sadly I bought them thinking they were true white, most have been blue white, red white or even green. I had to dig through 20 to find 6 true white ones. And one is even a little grey white. Grr. I do have extras and plan to sell as soon as photograph. They are great to put in vases to add cord free lighting to a room.

      Delete

Leave a message after the... BEEEEEEEEEP.