Sunday, December 11, 2011

Giant Tears

Since my last update, I finished cutting out the second story walls and floor. It took about a week of nights in the garage after the kids were asleep to paint and add the windows.

Thursday night, I was finally ready to assemble. I glued and clamped up the ground floor. First problem - my sliding doors are 1/8" but the wood from the kit was just shy of 1/4" so the upper track I added to hold the doors in place, snapped off when the doors overlapped to open. I'm going to replace two of the four panels with 3/32" and that should give enough room for everything to move smoothly. The big disaster came the next morning. The glue didn't hold. It cracked when I moved it and one wall fell down and another was disconnected.

I assumed I didn't clamp well enough, so for the second floor, I clamped the heck out of it on Friday night. I used almost every clamp we had. But come Saturday, despite being super clamped, the long wall was only connected to the floor a quarter of the length. After some Giant tears, I read the back of the wood glue bottle, and it recommends 45 degrees or higher. It was definitely closer to 40 degrees in the garage, so I think it was too cold for the glue to set properly. Tonight, I brought both floors inside and am praying the warmer temperature will set the glue properly this time.
At this point I figured I would be a lot further along. I'm not sure I'll finish in time, but I haven't thrown in the towel yet.


  1. Despite the problems that you are describing I can see great progress.I can not wait to see it finished.

  2. Bummer about the glue! I bet it is because of the temperature. It looks good despite the glue incident...and vaguely familiar. LOL! I can't wait to see the finished product!

  3. I imagine without a roof or cross member to brace the walls, the glue is absorbing quite a bit of stress. Miniature structural engineer required?

    Despite the problems, the whole thing looks fabulous =0)

  4. You can do it, Megan!! Keep it up! Looks AMAZING.

  5. How frustrating! I never realized that the temperature would be of influence as I always work indoors, but yes, that must be it. I have heard of problems with glue setting due to high humidity as well.
    And I just remembered something which happened during a class I was teaching two years ago, one student's glue just would not set, whatever we did, it kept coming apart. I finally figured out she was using older glue. Yes! Glue has a shelf life as well. When she used my glue, it came together in half an hour.
    Keep going! I look forward to the progress.

  6. It looks great so far, Megan. I love the wall of sliding windows/doors. You make me want to work on my Fascination Station. Ugh---I do need to get crafty. Someday...

  7. I am sending encouraging thoughts your way! I seriously doubt I will be done in time. We need some one to represent for Modern Minis in the Creatin'Contest. :-)

    P.S. Thanks for the heads up about my non-working comments. All is fixed with a new theme.

  8. Are you kidding that is one hot design! That alone should solidify that glue. We are designers... not Santa's workshop! (Ok don't tell the kids). xoxo CM


Leave a message after the... BEEEEEEEEEP.